The University Grants Commission has invited applications for the Post-Graduate Merit Scholarship from University rank holders . The Post-Graduate Merit Scholarship scheme is for non-professional courses only. The selection will be purely on merit basis. The awardees under this scheme can pursue their Post-Graduate programme in any area of specialization and also in any institution of higher learning in the country recognized by UGC under Section 2(f) and 12(B) of UGC Act.
Streams identified at undergraduate level for the award of scholarships :
S.No. and Stream
1 Life Sciences, 2 Physical Sciences, 3 Chemical Sciences, 4 Earth Sciences, 5 Mathematical Sciences, 6 Social Sciences, 7 Commerce, 8 Languages.
This scholarship is exclusively for the aforesaid courses only. Professional Courses are not applicable under this scheme.
- First & Second Rank holders at under-graduate level in the above mentioned specified streams only admitted in any non-professional Post-Graduate course would be awarded this scholarship.
- These awardees will have to submit the proofs of their merit position at undergraduate level in University/Institute/Autonomous College as well as their admission in first year of Post-Graduate course during academic year 2010-11.
- The scholarship would however, be subject to securing a minimum of sixty percent marks at undergraduate level.
- The rank holders would be considered only from affiliated universities wherein at least 100 students and in deemed / private Universities / Autonomous / Nonaffiliated colleges, at least 25 students have appeared in the examination at undergraduate level in the aforesaid programmes. (The scheme may not be made available to students in private deemed and state private universities until a final decision is taken regarding funding of such universities under schemes benefiting teachers and students of such universities.)
- The scheme is applicable to such students who have taken admission in regular, full-time Master’s Degree course in any recognized university, deemed university, private university , autonomous college or a post graduate college.
- The scholarship is available to the student for first PG Degree only. Age limit
for the students is 30 years at the time of admission in PG course.
- Distance mode of education will not be considered under the scheme.
Duration of Scholarship : 2 years
Number of scholarships : 3000
Rate of Scholarships : Rs. 2000/- p.m. (10 months in a year)
(Total 20 months)
- An eligible candidate who is awarded the Post-Graduate Scholarship will not be debarred from accepting any other Scholarship.
- Students desirous of leaving the studies mid-way without completing the PG degree will have to take prior approval from the UGC by submitting an application along with justification through the concerned University/ College/ Institution.
- The awardee will have to submit the mark-sheet of PG-I & PG-II year as completion of the PG Course and certificate for availing the scholarship. Attested documents to be submitted at the time of application:
- Application in prescribed format.
- Proof of admission to Master’s degree course in a recognized Indian University/ College/ Institution.
- Matriculation Certificate clearly indicating the age of the Candidate.
- Prescribed Joining Report from the institution where the candidate has taken admission for P.G. Course .
- Prescribed Provisional Rank Certificate at U.G. level.
Procedure for application:
Eligible students who are pursuing postgraduate 1st year course in any of the Non- Professional Course in the current year, i.e. 2010-11 may submit their application for the above scholarship in prescribed format alongwith all relevant attested copies of documents.
The application may be submitted to Deputy Secretary (SR-III), University Grants Commission, Bahadurshah Zafar Marg, New Delhi-110002 within 30 days from the date of publication of this advertisement in the Employment News/Rojgar Samachar (full advt.) and in leading National Dailies (short advt.).
Those who had applied earlier need to apply afresh in response to this advertisement, if they had taken PG admission in the year 2010-11. Candidates are advised to read guidelines for the scheme which are available on UGC website www.ugc.ac.in before submitting application.
Envelops containing application should be prominently marked as APPLICATION
FOR PG MERIT SCHOLARSHIP FOR UNIVERSITY RANK HOLDER (2010-12)
The scholarship may be tenable for a period of two years to enable the rank
holders of each university at undergraduate level to pursue their Master’s
Degree. All universities/degree awarding institutions would be required to issue
rank certificates to the toppers of the university in B.A., B.Sc., and B.Com. The purpose of this scheme is to attract talent for pursuing post graduate studies besides strengthening the basic subjects at Undergraduate level. The awardees, under this scheme, can pursue their Postgraduate programme in any area of specialization in any institution of higher learning in the country.
MONITORING / OPERATION OF THE SCHEME
The Scholarship will be awarded by the UGC and will be informed to the concerned Universities and awardees pursuing Master’s programmes. The selection will be purely merit based. The scholarship will be disbursed through College/ University where the awardees have taken admission in PG Course.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE UNDER THE SCHEME
- The financial assistance for the scheme will be provided by the UGC to all the eligible universities/ institutions which are under Section 2(f) and 12(B) of
UGC Act. The Universities in turn will be responsible to submit all documents
such as Statement of Expenditure and Utilization Certificate etc. to the UGC to settle the accounts.
- Each awardee, under the scheme, will be provided a scholarship of Rs.2,000/ p.m. for a period of two years (i.e. 10 months in a year). The second year
grant will be released after receiving Utilization Certificate and statement of
expenditure along with the progress report of the first year .
- No other additional grants will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and
medical charges etc.
- The student who is awarded Post-graduate Scholarship will not be debarred from accepting any other scholarship.
- Students desirous of leaving the studies mid-way without completing the PG degree will have to take prior approval from the UGC by submitting an application along with justification through the concerned university.
- Any student who discontinues studies without prior approval of the UGC will have to refund the whole amount and the concerned institution will be responsible for this.
- The university/college/ institution has to submit a certificate of completion of the PG course in respect of each student availing this scholarship.
- No extension is permissible beyond two years.
CANCELLATION OF SCHOLARSHIP
The UGC may terminate the scholarship of any student in case of:
a) Misconduct of the awardee, if any, reported by the University/ Institution.
b) Unsatisfactory progress report (i.e. if the candidate scores less than 60% marks in the first year of Master’s programme)
c) Candidates being found ineligible at a later date shall face the penal action and will also be liable to refund the entire Scholarship amount paid.
For further details visit www.ugc.ac.in
PG Merit Scholarship Reviewed by traveller on 5:11 PM Rating: